Job Description: Bespoke Furniture & Retail Manager at Sister by Studio Ashby (Maternity Cover)
What we are looking for:
- Someone with passion and knowledge in the history of design, antiques, furniture, arts and beautiful things for the home
- A confident, enthusiastic individual who has the initiative and creativity to drive sales forward
- Someone who is adaptable and proactive, who thrives in a highly multi-faceted role
- A resourceful and organised person
- An assertive, pro-active and solution orientated team player
- Fluent in spoken and written English
The ideal candidate must have:
- Previous managerial experience in a small retail business (including online sales) ideally in a similar environment
- Experience in the definition, development and maintenance of a furniture and product range
- Excellent financial skills related to budget management and maintaining records
- A keen eye for detail
- A good knowledge of materials, manufacturing (inc. upholstery) and specifications
- Experience of furniture and product development, through process and supplier research, sampling, prototyping, regulations and testing requirements
- Experience of ergonomics and reading technical and manufacturing drawings
- Confidence in dealing with suppliers and makers
- Experience in developing supply chain and logistics
- A good understanding of budgets, costs and a handle of value engineering
- A strong commercial manufacturing awareness as you will be responsible for procurement and accurate estimates
- Impeccable and concise communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to communicate technical and design issues verbally and through drawing
- Full proficiency using a Mac, Microsoft Office, Photoshop & InDesign
The role will include:
30% Strategy, Business and Finance
20% Customer Service
- Conceptualising, developing, and maintaining Sister furniture and product range
- Planning the product and furniture road map
- Liaising with Studio Ashby to create new product and to drive sales within the interior design community
- Keeping an eye on current market trends and forming collaborations with up-and-coming makers, artists or designers
- Visiting antiques markets and fairs across UK for sourcing (we are looking for an individual who thrives off the excitement of finding new products, despite the weather and very early start times!)
- Managing budgets and monitoring financial performance of the retail business
- Maintaining financial records and invoicing
- Managing all customer orders
- Dealing with customer queries and complaints
- Liaising with our storage and packaging company
- Overseeing pricing and stock control
- Maximising profitability and meeting sales targets
- Liaising with makers, art framers, upholsterers and transport companies/couriers to ensure products are delivered
- Working with the in-house branding and social media team to think of creative ways to push sales
- Organising photoshoots per product launch
- Working on the shop/small showroom floor in Central London
Desirable but not essential:
- A degree in furniture, product or industrial design
- CAD design experience with bespoke furniture, proficiency in Vectorworks, Solidworks and/or Rhino
- A portfolio demonstrating elegant, modern and classic furniture design work for the luxury market
- Demonstrated application of colour, materials, proportion, and design principles
- Familiar with LDF, Salone Del Mobile and key furniture fairs
Who are we?
The little sister of Studio Ashby, the London-based interior design studio, founded by Sophie Ashby.
Studio Ashby has developed a strong and loyal social following and a strong reputation amongst the design crowd for their beautiful and off-beat home interiors.
However, due to the nature of the highly bespoke interior design service provided, the Studio Ashby aesthetic has only been available to the few who have the means and time to commission a full interior renovation.
In October 2020, Studio Ashby launched Sister. Sophie and her team felt this was the perfect moment to create a retail brand selling beautifully curated and crafted household products with meaning and soul. This brand appeals to a wider audience not limited by the restrictions of its older sibling.
Sister is a chance to have fun and be playful with interiors, furniture and objects. It’s also an opportunity for fans of Studio Ashby to buy into the brand’s aesthetic in a more affordable way.
Since inception, our online presence is going from strength to strength, bolstered by recent press articles in prestigious magazines such as Architectural Digest and House & Garden. The brand lives digitally under the @sisterbystudioashby handle on Instagram, and at www.studioashby.com/sister
Sister’s interior and lifestyle products uphold the values of conscious consumption, playful eccentricity, craftsmanship and high-low upcycling. Products range from refurbished antique treasures to quirky, re-imagined homeware staples.
The line will continue to develop, evolve and expand over time, starting with small-scale and artisanal production.
Sister will be opening a Showroom within Studio Ashby’s new head office in May / June 2022. The showroom will be a physical representation of the brand, inviting customers into its own little world; a reimagined furniture and antiques shop full of colour and play.
How to Apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter in PDF format, with the subject ‘Bespoke Furniture & Retail Manager’ letting us know why you think you would be a great fit for this role.
Application deadline is Monday 31st January 2022
Sadly we can’t give feedback to all applicants, and you will only be contacted should you be successful in being invited to interview.