Job Description: Middleweight Interior Designer
Who are we?
Studio Ashby is a London-based interior design studio, founded by Sophie Ashby in 2014. We are a dynamic group of twelve experienced designers, working across residential and commercial interior design and creative direction in the UK, Europe and further afield. We pride ourselves on our positive, professional and personal approach in all that we do. We work efficiently and collaboratively to bring integrity and soul to interior life.
What do we do?
Our mission is to create habitable spaces with identity. Whether it’s a home, a restaurant, a hotel or a commercial development, we apply the same creative approach that starts with envisioning the lives of the people who will inhabit it. We question what inspires them, what moves them and how we can fulfil their desires and support their needs with our design. Art plays a central role in our inspiration and process. Stemming from Sophie’s own passion and training in art history, we believe art has a vital place in every interior and no space feels complete without it.
Together with interior design we also provide creative direction. This allows us
to create immersive experiences in the environments we design, ensuring the character and style of our clients is felt in substance across all details and touch points. Our creative direction includes many aspects that affect how we experience our environments: from art consultancy and buying to bespoke collaborations, books to uniforms, planting to fragrance. With greater consideration to the many layers that make up our interior world, the deeper the connection we have to it in response.
Relationships are core to all that we do: relationships with our clients, our customers, our suppliers, manufacturers and the many craftspeople and ateliers we work closely with. Our work is a collaborative process involving many different people, and strong relationships are crucial for achieving good results. We believe design should be a positive experience and it’s important to have fun along the way.
We expect you:
- Be confident in space planning.
- Comfortably produce sketches, drawings and mood boards. This includes technical plans, elevations, sections and details in Vectorworks format.
- Create full project costing schedules and budgets.
- Source and procure bespoke joinery and FF&E design, be able to review technical drawings supplied by others.
- Develop detailed specifications and manage a pre-agreed budget.
- Work with Contractors and Suppliers to ensure the design and quality are executed as per specifications and of the highest standard.
- Coordinate all aspects of the FF&E procurement and installation- Have the ability to set and uphold programmes, stick to deadlines, excellent project management at all times.
- Have experience working on all aspects of projects from concept to completion, on your own or as part of a team.
- Have the ability to lead mid-size projects with support of a Senior Designer and Director.
- Be a confident, loyal, trustworthy, dynamic, charming person who can hold their own with clients, suppliers and project teams.
- Be proactive, open to feedback, with boundless amounts of positive energy.
The ideal candidate must have:
- A degree or equivalent in Interior Design.
- At least 3 years post-graduate experience in the luxury residential sector.
- Full proficiency using Vectorworks, Adobe Creative suite & Microsoft Suite.
- Excellent supplier and product knowledge, including FF&E and finishes.
- Have a financial understanding of project costs and the ability to run budgets.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Impeccable and concise communication and presentation skills, verbal and written.
If you think that your skills, experience, and personality make you well suited to this role we’d love to hear from you.
Please submit your covering letter, CV and portfolio in PDF format, with the subject ‘Middleweight Interior Designer’ to email@example.com
What does Sophie believe in?
Sophie has a simple mission, balancing rational and emotional needs to create interiors that are functional but feel warm too. She believes that design should be approachable, not exclusive, and that it can enhance an experience and inspire people. She is inspired in equal parts by people, culture and nature – and where they come together. Her nomadic upbringing and love for travel, combined with her artistic sensibility has given her a deep-rooted curiosity in our sense of place, both how we respond to it and how it shapes us in return.
Sophie believes that good design has meaning: the things we surround ourselves with everyday should move us, and make us feel alive. It is these qualities that she is inspired by and seeks to bring to bring out in her interiors – ultimately it is a soulfulness that allows people to connect to the spaces they inhabit.